Re: Networking and software speech with Speakup

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 08:06:32PM +0300, Veli-Pekka Tatila wrote:
> Hi Kenny,
> I'm snipping heavily as I've resolved the networking stuff. THX to everyone
> taking part.
>
> Kenny Hitt wrote:
> >software speech requires a working sound card and other programs to
> >work.  During the initial install, a hardware synth is the only way
> >to go.
> I see what you mean. That is software speech would require perfect
> auto-detection of most sound cards as well as setting the channel gains
> right, and so on.
>
> A crazy idea, howabout using the PC speaker?

If you try to use the speaker instead of the sound card, you would have
to write a program to do it.  That would mean you need 4 programs for
software speech instead of the 3 needed for output to the sound card.
Space is limited on an installer disk, so software speech is just to
large to easily fit.

> Speaking of modern sound cards, would all AC97 cards work with a universal
> driver in Linux? HOwabout a generic driver for all Sound Blaster
> compatibles and clones?

Not sure.  I think that's what is done with Alsa.  Most SB cards are
handled with one driver.  AC97 based cards use one driber for basic
support and an additional driver for specific features.

> >Flite is probably more responsive than festival, but festival has better
> >voices.
> Umm, does Flight use LoFi Festival voices? I mean, the default Flight voice
> sounds a lot like Festival to me at least, only its a bit shakier, almost
> sad sounding, and a bit more LoFi, too.

Yes, flite uses one of the festival voices.
> I've never used any DOS screen readres as I said earlier, so I cannot
> really comment on Vocalize vs ASAP.

That's probably a good thing.  I used ASAP for years, so my view is
biosed.

> PS:
> Should we change the subject line again?

Not sure, probably change it to console access or something.

          Kenny