Re: OpenAI Whisper in Debian?

On Sun, 2023-04-09 at 18:26 -0400, M. Zhou wrote:
> On Sat, 2023-04-08 at 19:51 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > Is OpenAIs Whisper something to include in Debian, ref
>
> You may as long as you wish.
>
> The model weights are released under the MIT license. I quickly
> went through the paper and these models involve non-free data
> licenses such as CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0. According to ML-policy, it
> is not suggested to upload these blobs. Many similar software
> has written the code for automatically downloading them. I think
> the same has done for whisper.
>
> Meanwhile, it also requires openai/triton as one of the python
> dependencies. It is my potential ITP because pytorch 2.0 depends
> on it. If you wish to go ahead with triton, I would like to join the
> maintainace to make sure it does not break the pytorch build,
> nor crash pytorch reverse dependnecies in the future.

If you wish to include the models in the package to make it useful
out-of-the-box, the models has to enter the non-free section
of our archive with the following justification:

Despite the redistributed neural networks are MIT-licensed:
1. The code for training the redistributed neural networks is not available.
2. The original training data of the redistributed neural networks involve
    non-free license.