Re: Installing debian on Highscreen Alpha 5000 / Alpha PC 164LX

Hi,

ok, after I used another network card from SMC I coud although connect
to the network. Now the my Debian system is running on alpha. I have
had some smaller installation quirks. E.g.

- dselect wants to install ncurses3.0 which depends on libc5. I can´t
  stop him doing so, since ncurses3.0 is marked as essential
- ldso depends on libc6
- during the installation of libc6.1-dev I got a few dpkg segfaults.
  I don´t now why, and I don´t know who I solved this. I think the
problem was related to the modutils package, which installed
/usr/include/linux as a file, and not a directory. Since the postrm
script from modutils although unsuccessfully returned I wasn´t able to
remove modutils nor to install libc6.1-dev. After a few trys and some
force-statements everything it worked.

Now the machine is playing gnuchess with itself :-) Nice performance

Dirk

--

    _/         _/_/   _/      _/          Dirk Luetjens
   _/        _/      _/_/  _/_/           Lehrstuhl fuer Messtechnik

Institute for Measurement Techniques      phone: +49 241 80 78 65
University of Technology Aachen           fax:           8888 200
                                          email: dirk@post.LfM.RWTH-Aachen.De