Re: error setting ownership of symlink

On 27 Aug 1998, Dirk Luetjens wrote:

> beta:# dpkg -i autoconf_2.12-9.deb
> (Reading database ... 33581 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking autoconf (from autoconf_2.12-9.deb) ...
> dpkg: error processing autoconf_2.12-9.deb (--install):
>  error setting ownership of symlink `usr/lib/autoconf/acconfig.h': No such file or directory
> Segmentation fault
> Any ideas?

This seems to be common in the development kernels.  Symlinks seem to be
more strictly "enforced" than before (requiring a target to set
ownership).  Double-check that the target of the symlink actually exists.
If it does, it should work ok, but if not, then dpkg will segfault.  This
is usually caused by dpkg not correctly ordering package installation
under the newer kernels (dpkg needs some revision, fyi).  If the target
exists and it still segfaults, I guess repost and we'll take a better look
at dpkg.