Re: ROSS?

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:

> How old is it?  If it's what I think it is, it's an Amdahl/Fujitsu
> teamserver, which should be NT-based (meaning, it's more likely a Pentium
> or compat running NT).  From what info I can find currently, they are all
> Intel based and should be based on existing (known) equipment.  Be aware
> that Fujitsu also makes Sparc equipment, so this may be some ancient Sun
> clone.  In that case, it may have a processor on a card in the system (not
> on the motherboard).  In that case, I'm unsure as to whether or not it'll
> run Linux or not.  Best thing to do is to ask whomever was going to sell
> it to you which OS they were running on it.  Since I don't think NT ever
> ran on Sparcs (well, ok, it did, but nobody marketed them that I know of),
> that may be the best clue.
>
> As to whether or not to buy it...hmmm...it's up to you.  Depends on how
> much hassle you may want to deal with if things aren't exactly compatible
> with current kernels.  It looks ok, but who knows with legacy hardware.
>
> At any rate, it's not an Alpha at least.  In fact, the only other company
> besides DEC/Compaq that I know of to make ANY Alpha product like that
> would be Samsung, who's just been licensed for m/b and chip products
> anyway.

The store thats selling havent got a clue what it is, just some server
they got when they upgraded some local buissness.
They also got a 12 CPU Pentium (66MHz) server which they sold for the same
price ($3-400), sadly I missed it by a day.

And about the ROSS system, the only external card on it was a SCSI
controller, so I wont buy (well perhaps if I get it for $100 :)).
Thanks all
/nisse