install of Debian 2.1r2 on AS 200

What is the deal to get the install running. I've installed RH 5.1 and
5.2 on this box and another Alpha about 10 times. This is my first try
w/ Debian. I can get it to the milo prompt, but no futher. The function
key help system doesn't work, though I have read them manually. Using RH
I would start the install with something like:

milo>boot fd0:vmlinux.gz load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1

This doesn't work. I always get a kernel panic (unable to mount
filesystem). What is the correct way to get things started?

Thanks.

--
Use of the return address on this message for commercial purposes is
prohibited. The transmission of unsolicited commercial material is