Re: Is Hamm/Alpha stable?

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Frank Louwers wrote:

> 1. From what I have found out by now, Hamm/Alpha uses the egcs
> compiler, and not gcc. Is there any special reason for this?
> I mean, I think it would be easier to port gcc to alpha than to try to
> solve all the problems! How bad are the problems? Does the kernel compile?

We all weighed out the advantages and disadvantages of both gcc 2.8.x and
egcs and egcs came out the winner.  Between Fortran support and better
Alpha support, egcs is a superiour compiler at this stage of the game.
Believe me, we're not abandoning gcc, just waiting for the newer versions
to mature.  In fact, I've noticed MANY things don't compile correctly
under gcc 2.8.1.

> What does Red Hat use btw? gcc or egcs?

They use egcs, but a Hiafa-enabled version of 1.0.2.  This has caused TONS
of problems for RH users as noted on their mailing lists.  I've suggested
to them to recompile egcs 1.0.3a without Hiafa support, but they
apparently haven't done it yet.

> 2. PCMCIA support? Go or no-go?

No go YET.  I'm working on this, but lack of hardware to test it with is
really hurting the progress on this.

> 3. How about network-install? nfs would be great, but ftp would be ok ...
> is
> this possible?

Not sure.  I'll have to defer this to our install gurus :)  There's been
alot of work done recently on boot disks and such and I believe that
they've gotten some really neat things working install-wise.