Re: smp problems on AlphaServer 4100

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Steve Langasek wrote:

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 09:47:04AM -0800, Bill MacAllister wrote:
You should be able to do that, but you will also need an initramfs generator
package, since 2.6.15 doesn't support devfs and initrd-tools depends on
devfs for operation.  If you already have a 2.6 kernel running, the easiest
should be to install yaird and linux-image-2.6.15-1-alpha-smp; those should
be the only two packages you need from etch.

But also note that since you mention you're using qlogic drivers, the
problem described at
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2006/02/msg00159.html> probably
applies...

I've hit that when trying to run a 2.6.15 compiled using the debian config on a UP2000+ system (based on DP264, same as the DS20) with two EV68ALs. I haven't tried a uniprocesser kernel, just compiling one up now.

We (UCC) actually have a few of these machines spare as we got 7 donated at once, so if it was really necessary we could ship you one, but from its size and weight [1] shipping to the US looks like it'd cost $200+, which we can't affford. Linux Australia does hold some money for Debian [1] and I guess it could be used as a buildd with the addition of some disks [2] as it's quite beefy - 833MHz CPUs and 2GB of RAM.

[1] It's 3RU high and as long as a full 19" rack.
[2] http://www.linux.org.au/about/reports/2004-treas/notes.html
[3] and if using IDE disks, a PCI IDE controller, as the onboard one is
    limited to 4MB/s

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |