Re: smp problems on AlphaServer 4100

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 02:13:25AM +0800, James Andrewartha wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Steve Langasek wrote:

> >On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 09:47:04AM -0800, Bill MacAllister wrote:
> >You should be able to do that, but you will also need an initramfs
> >generator
> >package, since 2.6.15 doesn't support devfs and initrd-tools depends on
> >devfs for operation.  If you already have a 2.6 kernel running, the easiest
> >should be to install yaird and linux-image-2.6.15-1-alpha-smp; those should
> >be the only two packages you need from etch.

> >But also note that since you mention you're using qlogic drivers, the
> >problem described at
> ><http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2006/02/msg00159.html> probably
> >applies...

> I've hit that when trying to run a 2.6.15 compiled using the debian config
> on a UP2000+ system (based on DP264, same as the DS20) with two EV68ALs. I
> haven't tried a uniprocesser kernel, just compiling one up now.

Please let us know how it turns out.

> We (UCC) actually have a few of these machines spare as we got 7 donated
> at once, so if it was really necessary we could ship you one, but from its
> size and weight [1] shipping to the US looks like it'd cost $200+, which
> we can't affford. Linux Australia does hold some money for Debian [1] and
> I guess it could be used as a buildd with the addition of some disks [2]
> as it's quite beefy - 833MHz CPUs and 2GB of RAM.

> [1] It's 3RU high and as long as a full 19" rack.

Heh, I think I would be in quite a lot of trouble if someone shipped me a
computer this size...  As for using it as a buildd, I'm pretty sure there
are other standing buildd offers with hosting included, so there's probably
not much sense in pursuing this as a buildd unless you can host it as well.
Thanks for the offer, though. :)

Cheers,