/dev/hdc gone after restart

For some reason I just lost my cdrom / dvd drive (same). I did an
update and upgrade, burned a CD in k3b and all was working well. I
came home to find that the computer had crashed hard - no mouse, no
keyboard, couldn't log in remotely, nothing worked. I restarted and
everything is OK except that I no longer have the CD drive. By that I
mean there is no longer and entry for /dev/hdc, no symlinks pointing
to /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom as there used to be. I suspect that maybe
this is a problem with udev not adding the dvd drive, but I have
absolutely no idea how to troubleshoot this issue. Has anyone seen
anything like this before? Any suggestions on how I can get /dev/hdc
back and working again?

Craig