Re: xscreensaver cannot lock: no screensaver running on display

xscreensaver &
xscreensaver-command -lock

should work or is not running xscreensaver after the fisrt step?

ps aux |grep xscreensaver

don't use root!!!

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 3:57 AM, reg exes <regexes@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'm not using KDE... I'm using Enlightenment as my window manager.
> Doesn't seem to matter anway.  I cannot get xscreensaver to do what it
> should?
>
> If I run xscreensaver manually and then try lock the screen, I always get
>
> host1:myuser:~> xscreensaver-command -lock
> xscreensaver-command: no screensaver is running on display :0.0
>
> I thought I would try adding it to the xinitrc... maybe it has to be
> started then.
>
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/bin/xscreensaver -display :0.0 &
>
> I tried this in my user's .xinitrc and as root. Didn't help either
> way, same problem.
> Ok.. then I tried adding it to the gdm.conf file... my system is using gdm...
>
> I added this line...
> [xdmcp]
> BackgroundProgram=xscreensaver -display :0.0 -no-splash
>
> Didn't help.. I still get the same error.
>
> I don't understand what I'm doing wrong?
>
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Whit Hansell <skipper44@comcast.net> wrote:
>> If your running KDE, go the K(Start button, lower left of screen and at
>> the bottom along with "switch user" and "log out", you will find "lock
>> session".
>>
>> reg exes wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I upgraded my system from Etch to Lenny a looong time ago... just
>>> noticed something odd.
>>>
>>> When trying to lock my screen with xscreensaver, it dies...
>>>
>>> host1:myuser:~> xscreensaver-command -lock
>>> xscreensaver-command: no screensaver is running on display :0.0
>>>
>>> I've searched for solutions and can't seem to find anything which helps..
>>>
>>> I found this on the Debian Bugs List...
>>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=508991
>>>
>>> But I'm using the version from stable...
>>>
>>> host1:myuser:~> aptitude show xscreensaver
>>> Package: xscreensaver
>>> State: installed
>>> Automatically installed: no
>>> Version: 5.05-3+lenny1
>>>
>>> Anyone have an idea?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> regexes
>>>

> --

Perhaps the depth of love can be calibrated by the number of different
selves that are actively involved in a given relationship.
                    Carl Sagan (Contact)

Absolute certainty is a privilege of uneducated minds-and fanatics. It
is, for scientific folk, an unattainable ideal.
                    Cassius J. Keyser

                    Jaime Ochoa Malagón
                    Arquitecto de Soluciones
                    Cel: +52 (55) 1021 0774