Re: novice guidance request (Debian apache compiling rewrite,ssl,php basics)

Ce jour Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Anthony S. a dit:

> Hello out there,
>

> Could someone please refer me to a place where I can get some guidance
> on the following request specifically? Thanks.

this list is not a help list.

> "
> I am teaching myself to install that
> "SimpleURL" mod_rewrite feature for PostNuke (CMS)... on the
> Web: mtrad.com .
>
> ... I need some help installing Apache. Since the mod_rewrite isn't a
> module compiled and used by my Debian Apache 1.3 installation,

um, yes it is. enable it.

> uncommenting the "httpd.conf" comments doesn't allow Apache to start any
> more - and I am unable to compile the Apache 2 past 'make' without
> getting an error.

why are you building apache2? there's perfectly good .debs available,
and if you need to backport to woody, download the debian source
package, install the build dependencies, and build it.

Build-Depends: debhelper (>> 4.1.1), libssl-dev, openssl, bzip2,
autoconf, autotools-dev, libtool, libdb4.2-dev, zlib1g-dev,
libpcre3-dev, libldap2-dev, libexpat1-dev, mawk

most if not all are gettable in woody. also if you are on x86, check
apt-get.org and backports.org. lastly, #apache on irc.freenode.net (aka
irc.debian.org is there to help).