Re: Need to remove and add virtualhosts to start apache

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:19:53AM -0500, Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:
> rm@fabula.de wrote:
> >A quick shot into the dark: could this be DNS related? I think you never
> >told
> >us what sort of virtual hosting you do. Iff you have enough virtual hosts
> >whose domain name doesn't resolve _and_ your server is set up in a way that
> >requires DNS lookups _and_ you have a lot of virtual hosts the startup
> >process might timeout.
> >Hmm, doesn't sound too likely ...
>
> That's an interesting suggestion.  Maybe once it has started up once, the
> DNS lookups for the existing hosts are cached and it's able to get the
> other ones in time.
>
> A couple of questions, though.  I have UseCanonicalNames Off--is there
> something else that would cause apache to do DNS lookups on VirtualHosts?
> HostnameLookups is on, but that only relates to lookups of inbound hits,
> right?
>
> Also, does it make any sense that this would actually cause a segfault (see
> my backtrace in other message)?  I wouldn't expect a timeout should lead to
> that result.

Non, sorry, didn't study your backtrace :-/
Hmm, looking at your backtrace: you seem to have both php and ssl enabled? Since
i (vaguely) recall problems with this setup - is it possible to reproduce the
segfault with one or both of these modules disabled?

 HTH Ralf Mattes