Re: request to backport memtest86

On 2022-11-29 23:43, Matt Taggart wrote:
I would like to be able to use the new 6.00-1 version in stable as the
existing version there does not work on many systems, modern but also
even those 5+ years old. I think there is a good argument for
including in a stable update, but either way can we get a decision and
have it available in stable proposed updates or backports soon?

Do you need a backport to do that?

As far as I can tell, memtest86+ has no runtime dependencies, so there is nothing stopping you from downloading the version 6.00 package from the unstable repo, and installing it directly. I have done that successfully on a couple of Ubuntu systems that I manage, and it installed just fine.

The current version of memtest86+ does have some annoying miss-features, which I would prefer to see fixed, but it does basically work, and is much better than the old version that does not support modern hardware, and can emit false error reports.

--
David Pottage