dbootstrap fails to tell me about virtual consoles

I'm using boot floppies that I built from anonymous CVS sources, which
I updated yesterday (but I've seen this problem for a long time).

When dbootstrap asks me which kind of installation I want -- simple or
advanced -- I choose simple, and then I don't choose *any* of the
tasks that it presents to me.  Instead, I go straight to "quit".  It
installs the appropriate minimum software, but when it's done it drops
me straight into the logon prompt, and doesn't tell me how to use the
virtual consoles, nor to "have fun" -- that is, I don't see any of the
contents of
/usr/src/boot-floppies/scripts/basedisks/po/rootprofile.pot.  However,
if, instead of going straight to "quit", I had chosen at least one
task, I would have seen those messages.