Can you try to do video=vc:3-5 ? (Re: Mitsumi CD and penguin logo on compact boot disks)

Hello.

Thanks for understanding of i18n, debacle.
And thanks for supporting fb device, Randolph.

In article <[🔎] 20000414122144.B17987@knorke.in-berlin.de>,
  at Fri, 14 Apr 2000 12:21:44 +0000,
 debacle <debacle@knorke.in-berlin.de> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 06:13:50PM -0700, Randolph Chung wrote:

> > Framebuffer support is needed to support some foreign languages (JP in
> > particular)
>
> OK, I understand.  Is it possible to fix the problems with
> vi and less?  I think most new users don't know how to fix
> it and don't know much about stty etc.  Maybe it's the
> easiest to make 80x25 the default?

I think that you can use "linux video=vc:3-5" at the "boot:" prompt
of the first disk of the installer (resc1440-compact.bin).

The boot prompt option "video=vc:3-5" limits the range of frame buffer
console in all the virtual consoles. i.e. vc1 (the 1st virtual console)
and vc2 (the second virtual console) are not changed into frame buffer
mode.

Can you try this, and report the result to this list, debacle ?

If you get success, then we can write it on either of f5.txt or f7.txt
in boot-floppies/scripts/rescue/messages/$LINGUA/, and on rescue-boot.sgml
in boot-floppies/documentation/$LINGUA/.

The Boot-Prompt FAQ from LDP said:

<sect>Boot Arguments for Video Frame Buffer Drivers

        The `video=' argument (not avail. in v2.0 kernels)
        is used when the frame buffer device abstraction layer
        is built into the kernel.
(snip)
        The typical format of this argument is
        <tt>video=name:option1,option2,...</tt>
        where <tt/name/ is the name of a generic option or of a
        frame buffer driver.
        The <tt/video=/ option is passed from <tt>linux/init/main.c</tt>
        into <tt>linux/drivers/video/fbmem.c</tt> for further processing.
        Here it is checked for some generic options before trying to
        match to a known driver name. Once a driver name match is made,
        the comma separated option list is then passed into that particular
        driver for final processing. The list of valid driver names
        can be found by reading down the <tt/fb_drivers/ array in the
        file <tt/fbmem.c/ mentioned above.
(snip)
<sect1>The `video=vc:...' Argument
        A number, or a range of numbers (e.g. <tt/video=vc:2-5/)
        will specify the first, or the first and last frame
        buffer virtual console(s). The use of this option also
        has the effect of setting the frame buffer console to
        <em/not/ be the default console.

Regards.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>