Re: boot-floppies on amiga/apus. friday cvs version.

On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 02:35:57PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 12:34:35PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > > Then put loop.o on the root disk, just as we do on i386 for the module
> > > enabling syslog.
>
> > Where do i do that, ...
>
> No, I change my mind.  It is required that the kernel you are booting
> with has loop support.  Its a documented requirement.
>
> If you did wanna try it for some reason (like, you like smoking crack
> or soemthing of that nature), then it would go, obviously enough,
> rootdisk.sh, see line 701.
>
> Sven, either you are incapable or else too lazy to look at the code
> yourself.  Either way, you are trying my patience.

Well, right now, i have a big problem since i am unable to boot my ppc box, so
it is very difficult for me to test stuff.

I wanted to build a new kernel, so that this will be built in the next version
of apus boot floppies, but like said above, ... Maybe i will build a source
only package and let the autobuilder do the build. Not sure it will work
though.

> > Well, yes i had loops included in the kernel at first, to solve this selfsame
> > problem, but boot floppies wanted to insert a loop.o module,
>
> No it doesn't.  You *are* indeed on crack or some other mind altering
> drug.  Cite the file and line number where it does this.

Maybe it don't now anymore, but i assure you at the time i did that, it wanted

> My patience is at an end dealing with you.  Maybe others will help
> you, but I won't, until you have something intelligent to say.

How come on, ... just because i ask a few questions, don't need to make you
take this ton. I only tell you the stuff i experienced, not to speak about
make release installing a i386 keymaps on my amiga, which left me with the
only solution of hard rebooting, and loosing whole partition of stuff and
other such bad experience that seem to be solved now.

> > The i386 centricness is the dependance on floppies, i guess no other arch is
> > truly using floppies, or are they ?
>
> Of course they are.  That was a really idiotic thing to say.

Well, i know that m68k is not using floppies, as well as apus. pmac on newer
hardware is also not truly using floppies (they don't even have floppy disk
anymore), not sure about older pmac hardware. so that lets sparc and alpha.
Not sure aboutthem, but it surely is not the primary install method on sparc.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER