Re: woody installation system

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:

> For woody, I have agreed to serve as the leader of the boot floppies
> project. Adam Di Carlo and I talked it over in January when I was in

Good luck :)

> To that end, I propose that we start a new cvs tree devoted to a new
> installation system for Debian. We'll have to come up with a name for

One of the goals that I wish to see woody's boot-floppies (whatever you
decide to call it) achieve is the support of a fully modularised kernel
through initrd.  initrd is not necessary for the boot floppies (or CD's,
etc.) per se since they can load any module they need, but they do need
to support it so that they can be used to boot the system when the usual
means fail.

At the moment, this is probably only needed for i386.