Re: [Heikki Vatiainen <hessu@cs.tut.fi>] HPT366 UDMA support for boot disks, here is what I did

On Mon, Oct 25, 1999 at 09:27:13PM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> I think its a mistake to not to provide UDMA/66 support on the boot disks
> With my Abit HPT366 controller card, if i dont patch the kernel with the
> uniform ide patch then the machines hangs in the middle of the boot. I
> assume this occurs to motherboards with the controller built in as well.
> The patch also provides support to the promise ATA/66 card as well.
> Without ATA/66 support in the kernel debian potato may be uninstallable on
> most new machines. (assuming new machines will come with ata/66 support)

Well it's too risky for us to integrate patches of this sort which may
destablise other IDE chipsets.  The best we can do is to provide an
alternative boot disk with the patch applied.

> Maybe the kenrel guys will fix this by integrating it themselves.

I certainly hope that they do.

> Are there any known cases where introducing the uniform ide patche has
> caused instability in other ide chipsets ?

It's difficult at this stage to judge the stability of those patches simply
because it has only been tested by people who actually need them.  This means
that they might well have an adverse effect on others.