Re: 11.8 planning

On 6/26/23 12:26, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
Hi Donald,

On Wed, 2023-06-21 at 06:33 -0400, Donald Norwood wrote:
Hi,

On 6/20/23 13:15, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
The traditional cadence for oldstable point releases is four
months,
rather than two. That technically means that 11.8 would be due
somewhere in late August to mid-September. So we could either punt
11.8
so it aligns with 12.2 rather than 12.1, or do 11.8 together with
12.1
and then align 11.9 with 12.3.
The 1st would mean freezing this coming weekend, which is very
tight.

As per the 12.1 mail, either the 8th or 15th would work for me,
with a
preference for the latter. Given the explanation above though, I
think
the 22nd would be fine for 11.8 as well.

I think pushing everything forward at this time would be advisable
as several people have indicated that they need a breather. A slight
delay may be ideal.

I'm assuming you mean what at least in en_GB is normally referred to as
"pushing things back" - i.e. making things later than suggested.

Did you just mean that we should opt for the later of the dates
suggested (July 22nd), or did you have something else in mind?

Sorry for the block quote:

Phrasal verbs can be so very confusing. Yes you are correct. I suggest moving the dates into the future to allow for everyone to relax a bit and be in tune for the next releases.

I believe the 22nd would be best, unless others have differing input to the date selection.

*Push or pull? I asked a colleague and they thought push forward would be to advance toward/through the difficulty, and pull forward would be to move something closer. I asked another and they expressed a reversal of the terms in the contrary.

 --

Be well,

-Donald

--