Re: downloading my free version of linux

Hi Alex!

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 12:16:40PM -0700, Alex Aguilar wrote:
> I have a windowsXP home edition, and I was interested in downloading one
> of the free versions of Linux for a CD boot. And now that I have it
> downloaded to my blank CD it does not want to open, and It keeps on
> telling me that I have to insert some CD with the file RNENG.msi, and it
> keeps on trying to open it with the sonic CD burning software. What am I
> doing wrong. . .?

That error message has nothing to do at all with Debian, plus we're not
really Windows experts. ;-) However, my guess is:

1) You say that you "downloaded the .iso to a blank CD". This is almost
certainly the wrong way to write the .iso to disc - it sounds as if you
have installed a "packet-writing software" on your machine, which allows
you to use the CD just like a regular harddisk. Maybe see the following FAQ
entry: <http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#what-is>

2) I guess you get the error message "Insert the 'sonic RecordNow!' disc"
when you double-click the .iso file. Presumably that CD recording software
is not fully installed on your computer, and you need to supply a CD that
came with your computer to install it.
If you cannot find that CD, then according to
<http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#record-windows> there is a freeware CD
recording software called CDBurnerXP Pro which you could use instead.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯