Re: Lifting the moratorium

Hi,

* Helmut Grohne <helmut@subdivi.de> [2023-08-25 13:40]:
You see that this goes into very much detail and having the CTTE decide
upon the precise way of lifting this seems suboptimal. That would amount
to micro-managing the transition. In effect, the most sensible way I see
forward is trusting our developers to the right things by formally
lifting the moratorium entirely and still asking them to be careful
about what they do. Then we could have a living document (not authored
by CTTE) describing what careful means precisely. With dumat being in
operation as a detection mechanism (though not yet performing
unsupervised RC bug filings), we've got the means to see what goes wrong
at least.

Does this make sense to you? Do you have other thoughts on how to move
forward on the CTTE side?

Practically, lifting the moratorium means that the CTTE relinquishes
control of the /usr-merge transition to whoever drives the
transition, i.e., maintains that living document and thereby makes
decisions on how to proceed.

Who is this going to be? Do you, Helmut, feel comfortable as driver?
Do you prefer if the Release Team takes over with you in an advisory
role? If you continue as main driver, should the DPL formally
delegate that role somehow?

I think these are questions we need answered, because it would be
advisable to have someone with clearly defined responsibilities at
the wheel for the transition. Otherwise, we risk stale-mating
ourselves with endless debates on how to finish the transition
"properly".

Cheers
Timo

--
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁   │ Timo Röhling                                       │