Re: KDE not in Debian?

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Martin Schulze wrote:

> J.A. Bezemer wrote:
> >
> > [Please Cc: to me when replying, I'm not on the debian-devel list.]
> >
> > On the KDE website (kde.org) I saw that KDE was GPL'd. Debian packages are
> > available. But why is KDE not in the official Debian distribution?
>
> The problem exists because KDE *IS* GPL'ed and Qt is not.  Both licences
> are not compatible thus we believe they cannot be legally distributed
> at all.  The KDE people are changing licences as we have proposed, but
> this takes time.
>
> > (If this has been discussed already, a pointer to it will suffice ;-)
>
> Here it goes: http://www.debian.org/News/1998/19981008

Ah, I see.

Yet it says on
  http://www.kde.org/documentation/faq/kdefaq-2.html#ss2.6
"It is absolutely legal to make KDE and Qt available on CD free of charge."
And on
  http://www.troll.no/dl/qtfree-dl.html
"The Qt Free Edition is provided under the Q Public License ("QPL"). This
specifies that you may freely use the Qt Free Edition for: Running software
developed by others (e.g. KDE)"

Moreover, I've been told that KDE _is_ on the freely-redistributable Red Hat
CDs.

Am I missing something obvious? (happens to me more than once ;-)

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer