slink->potato: mutt going bezerk

I upgraded a box from slink to potato yesterday, and ran into a very strange
problem. Since then, I am unable to run mutt.
When I start it, it just blacks out the screen and returns to the prompt (which
is at the bottom btw. so it is probably a slang or curses problem). No error, no
core dump, nothing. Running as root doesn't change it, it behaves exactly the
same.
I *have* gotten it to run (that's how I am now writing this email in fact), but
in a very unconvenient way to say the least. In order to gather as much info as
I could to file a bug report, I mindlessly entered 'gdb mutt' (though of course
it didn't have any symbols, and I don't have any debugging libraries installed
anyway). To my great surprise, when I told it to 'run', it just did that - run
mutt. No blackout, no exiting, working fine.

I don't know what is going on, and don't know whose bug this may be. I've
upgraded slink boxes to potato before, I ran into other trouble, but those were
usually fixable - I wouldn't know what to do here. I checked /etc/Muttrc, I
installed the 'fresh' Muttrc from the package, renamed my ~/.muttrc, all without
success.

I hope someone knows what is going on here, I'd hate to reinstall the box (it
has been running fine since hamm release - upgrade to slink went flawlessly,
with my computers by the way, and I really hate this happening).

Regards,

Filip