Re: To the bind maintainer

On Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 03:49:54PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> This is an ongoing peeve I've developed over the last couple of
> years. We seem to spend a *lot* of time arguing about default
> configuration, after spending a big effort making sure our system
> preserved configuration changes. Despite that effort, there seem to
> be a lot of people (not pointing a finger at anybody involved in
> this discussion now) who won't be happy unless all their particular
> configuration choices catered to in the default installation. The
> reality is that sometimes there is no best choice, and therefore the
> maintainer gets to make the call about what the default should be.
> If you don't like the defaults, read the manpages and change the
> config. Now, if the package upgrade stomps on your changes, you have a
> reasonable beef with the maintainer. Otherwise, what's the big deal?

I mostly agree with you, as long as the defaults are the most secure
possible. There is often a lot of "my personal configuration is the
best" running around. On the other hand, people do sometimes have some
neat ideas that could enhance a package. I'm not sure of the best way to
both encourage creative input and squash useless bickering, unless it is
to increase the spirit of cooperation and teamwork in the project.

--
Mike Stone