"requires explicit package name at /usr/sbin/suidregister line 174" (was Re: Netscape: Bus error)

On Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 09:35:30AM -0700, Jeff Lightfoot wrote:
> Nils Jeppe wrote:
> > Today's unstable debian update broke netscape. I have 4.7 installed which
> > wasn't updated (I am pretty sure of this), so it must be some other
> > package's fault.
> >
> > Symptoms: Every time I start netscape, it produces a "Bus error", and
> > that's it. No netscape anymore :-(
yeah, i had the same problem... "Bus Error" and nothing more....

> > What package might be to blame here?
>
> Not too sure.  But if I move /usr/lib/netscape/plugins/plugger.so out
> of that directory, netscape will start.
it worked!!! i have my netscape back!!! thanks Lightfoot!!

> I don't think plugger was updated yesterday. (maybe recently though)
i started having problem a week ago, when i updated my potato.
packeages brocken were mount and something other. i updated yasterday also
but dpkg still says for xterm as the other dozen of packages:

> Setting up xterm (3.3.6-2) ...
> Global symbol "$username" requires explicit package name at /usr/sbin/suidregister line 173.
> Global symbol "$groupname" requires explicit package name at /usr/sbin/suidregister line 174.
> Global symbol "$inode" requires explicit package name at /usr/sbin/suidregister line 178.
> Execution of /usr/sbin/suidregister aborted due to compilation errors.
> dpkg: error processing xterm (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255

i had plugger also in this not well defined state. when i removed it, netscape came
back to light.

now i'd like to fix my system, anybody has any idea or has my same troubles??

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok <cavok@libero.it>
  --[ get my public pgp key at http://www.freeweb.org/free/cavok/
 -----[ ICQ: 56447243