Re: Changing manpages (was Re: hwclock and time gazworks...)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Michael Stone wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 09:32:46AM +0100, Thierry Laronde wrote:
> > Say that this is a "philosophical" point of vue. A bad man page is not
> > acceptable. So a debian correct man page is better than an incorrect one.
> > But a distribution independant one is, IMHO, the best one.
>
> But there *are* differences between distributions. Are you planning to
> hide them or simply ignore them?

Let me put down my $0.02.  I think it's perfectly reasonable for a debian
maintainer to change a man page to record default behaviour on debian
systems, where that differs from the normal default, especially if it's
clearly labelled as 'on Debian systems,...' Some complex packages (e.g.
perl) already have scripts to auto-generate manual pages which vary
depending on the actual local defaults.

Jules