Re: Changing manpages (was Re: hwclock and time gazworks...)

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 07:03:11AM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 09:32:46AM +0100, Thierry Laronde wrote:
> > Say that this is a "philosophical" point of vue. A bad man page is not
> > acceptable. So a debian correct man page is better than an incorrect one.
> > But a distribution independant one is, IMHO, the best one.
>
> But there *are* differences between distributions. Are you planning to
> hide them or simply ignore them?

Neither. And I'm not planning anything : I made a suggestion and asked for
comments.

There *are* differences. But my reflection was simply that for the user point
of vue, all the distributions/systems use in a large part the very same
programs. In order to avoid duplicate efforts AND mistakes --- the man
page of `hwclock' is an example ---, it would be perhaps more efficient to
have man (1) pages independant from any distribution OR organised so that
the specifities are put in a specific place (far more easy to adapt).

The second idea was to have `fake-programs' like there are fake-packages,
the man pages of these fake-programs being put in the administrator section,
explaining our some meta-tasks have to be achieved in a particular system.

Example : hwclock, date, adjtimex having a SEE ALSO pointing to "time(8)",
and "time(8)" being the explanations on how handle the date issues on the
system.

Just my one billion euros...
--
Thierry LARONDE