Re: mutt and ncurses

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 05:04:46PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Michael Stone wrote:
>
> But there is another issue here:
>
> I use, on a basis varying from very rarely to very regularly, a wide range
> of programs on my linux system.  Those which I use most frequently
> (enlightenment, gnome-panel, emacs, lyx) I'm prepared to invest the time
> to find out about their complex configuration possibilities.  For the
> other hundred or so, I rely on the debian maintainers arranging reasonable
> defaults, since I don't have the time to learn about those programs in
> detail - I just want them to work.
>
> I don't know whether this point is directly relevant to the mutt/ncurses
> issue.  I just feel it needs making.  Debian maintainers should attempt,
> where feasible, to set up sufficiently powerful defaults that casual users
> find that most things Just Work (tm).

What about inventing some system (/etc/ui and ~/.ui), by which one can choose
her favourite keyboard settings (vi, lynx, emacs ...) and general colorization
(white on blue, green on black, black on cyan ...) for *all* programs ?
This could esien custom setups a-lot. We need only some specification, little
library and make ~100 programs use this library.