Re: mutt and ncurses

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Michael Stone wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 07:14:40AM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> > Changing this in xterm breaks the tradition of what the colors are in
> > xterm.  Leaving it causes applications to bend over backwards trying to
> > cope.  Either way it's going to annoy somebody.
>
> IMHO, the annoyance is that people can't just create a color scheme that
> makes them happy and stop bitching about the default. .muttrc is there
> for a reason...

You have a point.

But there is another issue here:

I use, on a basis varying from very rarely to very regularly, a wide range
of programs on my linux system.  Those which I use most frequently
(enlightenment, gnome-panel, emacs, lyx) I'm prepared to invest the time
to find out about their complex configuration possibilities.  For the
other hundred or so, I rely on the debian maintainers arranging reasonable
defaults, since I don't have the time to learn about those programs in
detail - I just want them to work.

I don't know whether this point is directly relevant to the mutt/ncurses
issue.  I just feel it needs making.  Debian maintainers should attempt,
where feasible, to set up sufficiently powerful defaults that casual users
find that most things Just Work (tm).

Jules