Re: Mail loss!

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 09:53:27PM +0100, Nils Jeppe wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Richard A Nelson wrote:
>
>> Since it is the connection that is refused, there isn't a bounce message
>> generated... your buddies will probably never know their mail didn't arrive
>
> Actually in this case, the "upstream mailer" would generate a bounce
> message. Michael's sendmail CAN'T have nuked the mail because presumedly

I'm afraid not. Fetchmail talks to the upstream pop3 | imap | other
server, not the upstream mta. Unfortuantely fetchmail tells the
upsteam server that it has received the message, and to erase it from
the mailbox. The upstream mta had done it's job by depositing in the
mailbox, so it is content.

Actually, the best solution may be for fetchmail to HELO/QUIT the
localhost mta, to verify that a connection will be accepted before
proceeding.

Correct me if I am also wrong. To err is human.... and it feels devine.
;)