Re: [POSSIBLE GRAVE SECURITY HOLD]

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 09:44:16AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> writes:
> > IIRC, if there is a question it's not one that makes a lot of sense to
> > the uninitated, and it doesn't offer any details about the implications
> > of either method.
>
> Presumably the unitiated will also not be trying to set up secure
> Linux servers in a hostile environment.  If they are, no doubt they
> haven't thought about the other issues I raised.

By "unitiated" I mean "not schooled in debian's private method". I don't
recall that the mbr program is used universally by linux distributions,
that it's necessary, or that it's clear in debian's installation process
that your machine will work fine without it. (Even a fairly knowledable
person might wonder how his machine can boot without an MBR--not
realizing that "mbr" is seperate from "lilo")

--
Mike Stone