Re: [POSSIBLE GRAVE SECURITY HOLD]

On Feb 02, Pierre Beyssac wrote:
> I can't understand why everyone insists on keeping this MBR since
> its "features" serve strictly _NO_ useful purpose other than
> bypassing Lilo and BIOS security, so the argument that removing it
> would impair the system's ease of use is totally flawed.

MBR handles some situations better than Lilo does.  It requires no
configuration to work; all you need to do is select a partition and it
boots it (i.e.: you don't have to figure out the black magic needed to
get it to boot Windows on a second partition; you simply choose 2 from
the menu and you're off to go).

AFAIK, using MBR is optional.  If you don't like it, don't use it; use
Lilo instead.

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence         |        Get Debian GNU/Linux CDROMs        |
|   <quango@watervalley.net>    |       http://www.lordsutch.com/cds/       |
|       Debian Developer        |    This address has been spam-proofed.    |
|    http://www.debian.org/     |     All spam goes to your postmaster.     |