IP masquerading - connections persist too long

I have recently switched my ISDN card to a firewall machine, running
kernel 2.2.13 and slink.

I am now finding that connections remain open for up to 10 minutes.
I think that the masquerading part of the kernel has opened them in
order to fulfil connection requests, but is not closing them when
the original program closes the connection to the firewall.  As a
result, I am incurring unnecessary call charges.

Does anyone know of a way to force the masqueraded connection to shut
down at the same time as the original one?

     "O come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel
      before the LORD our maker."            Psalms 95:6