Re: groups

Alisdair McDiarmid <alisdair@jml.net> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 03:11:34PM -0500, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > "David G. Watson" <dgwatson@kent.edu> writes:
> >
> > > For example, to add user 'username' to groups 'foo', 'bar', and 'baz', I
> > > believe you just have to:
> > >
> > > addgroup username foo bar baz
> >
> > That's not what addgroup does.  See the manpage or --help output.
>
> [alisdair@letdown ~] $ addgroup --help
>
> adduser user group
  ^^^^^^^
>    Add an existing user to an existing group
>
> Am I missing something?

Probably what I underlined.  adduser and addgroup are the same
binary, and you *can* use addgroup to add a user to a group, but
it is not documented to work, so I would not recommend doing it
that way.
--
"Writing non-free software is not an ethically legitimate activity, so if
 people who do this run into trouble, that's good!  All businesses based