Re: Scary bugs

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 10:32:59AM +0000, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> Henrique M Holschuh <hmh+debianml@rcm.org.br>:
>
> > 3. --systohc on shutdown (without --adjust, and with --hctosys on startup)
> >    is needed to allow users to use the "one clock" approach. It is also
> >    needed for correct NTP operation. It is probably desired by anyone using
> >    ntpdate as well.
>
> My experience was that NTP did not work until I edited hwclock.sh to
> remove the --systohc.
>
> I also found the --systohc rather annoying when I wasn't using NTP: it
> caused the clock to drift much faster than it used to.
>
> I think the --systohc was introduced in Debian 2.1; Debian 2.0 didn't
> have it, and my clock was fairly reliable then ...
>
> (My machine is shut down about dozen times a week. The hardware clock
> is quite accurate; the system clock is very inaccurate. I'm connected
> to the Internet every day, but not always for long enough for NTP to
> synchronise itself. I don't want the hardware clock to be adjusted
> unless the system clock has been set by NTP. As I understand it, NTP
> causes the hardware clock to be adjusted anyway, so --systohc is
> unnecessary. I don't think my situation is unique. Other Debian users
> I know have had to comment out the --systohc in hwclock.sh in order to
> achieve sane time-keeping ...)

Well, we can't have a default that fits for anybody (it's just a default :)
Any default is acceptable if it's documented and if there is a documentation
explaining how to change it, to customize your installation.

That will be the case for potato, thanks to Henrique. And for woody, there
would be some extra work.

Cheers,
--
Thierry LARONDE <thierry.laronde@polynum.com>