How to achieve a minimum upgrade to potato ?

Hello,

I have tried to help a bit by making some cleaning in the BTS.
But my help is limited because I'm on slink ; and because I have only a
modem connection and pay for the time a "total" upgrade would be a PITA.

I'd like to put one of my PCs in potato but I'm wondering if there is a
way to make a "minimum" upgrade, avoiding apt-get trying to upgrade everything.

Is there a way to achieve this via the actual tools, or am I obligated to
make the selection by hand ?

TIA
--
Thierry LARONDE <thierry.laronde@polynum.com>