Re: Potato: apt-get and deselect out of sync

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 10:08:24AM -0800, Kenneth Scharf wrote:
> nothing to do.  I went back to dselect and just
> selected select (changed nothing) and install, again
> 50 someodd packages would be removed!  Deselect is
> using the apt method with the same sources.list as
> apt-get.

I had the same problem.  I think, from your list of packages, that this
is due to xscreensaver, which Recommends: perl, rather than perl5.  For
some reason dselect decides it had better keep xscreensaver and throw
out all this other stuff instead of the other way around.  There are
already RC bugs in BTS on dselect (for resolving conflicts in such a
weird way) and on xscreensaver (for the bad dependency).  apt-get didn't
notice this problem at all since it ignores Recommends: and Suggests:
fields.

--
James Deikun, Techie(tm), CSI Multimedia
The opinions expressed &c.