Re: Mail loss!

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 08:36:11AM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
> Note, that I do not say sendmail did nuke my mail but rather like to find
> out which of the programs involved. If it was fetchmail then fetchmail has a
> rather serious bug IMO.

A long time ago I posted one or two messages to the effect that fetchmail
was a piece of pure dung for wantonly violating RFC's (like 2015 -- hey,
let's dick with quoted-printable mails before writing them to the spool,
thus guaranteeing that cryptographic signatures on those messages would
fail...real clever, guys), and for turning on aggressive antispam filters
by default that would flush legitimate mails down the shitter.  It
continues to do the latter.

Good to see that fetchmail is so assiduously maintained upstream.  But ESR
is too busy defiying himself as a member of the hacker elite (cf. _The
Cathedral and the Bazzar_, O'Reilly, 1999) to actually do any hacking.

[Of course, I am guilty of laziness myself -- since I am fortunate enough
to have shell access to my POP host, I could handle my mail far more
efficiently:

ssh -C roger.ecn.purdue.edu "mv $MAIL $HOME/mymail" && scp -C
roger.ecn.purdue.edu:mymail /tmp && formail -s procmail < /tmp/mymail

In fact, I think I will test something like this right now.]

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    Suffer before God and ye shall be
Debian GNU/Linux               |    redeemed.  God loves us, so He makes us