'lshell' as a shared object

(mail to Heiko Schlittermann <heiko@lotte.sax.de> is bouncing; upon
investigation you two appear to be mentioned in and around lshell so I'm
sending this email to you and Cc:ing it to debian-devel for anyone else's
perusal)

Hi,

I have code based on lshell, which you maintain for Debian, that implements
the functionality as a shared object. I.e. you add a line such as

/lib/rlimit.so

to /etc/ld.so.preload, and you get magic support for resource limits in
every dynamic executable. The code is based on lshell 2.01 but needs some
polishing to come be able to parse the now-become-standard /etc/limits
file.

I was wondering if I do this (a trivial amount of work), are you interested
in releasing a new lshell package in Debian? We may want to call it
something else, or just give it a new version number. I don't believe any
development has been done on lshell since 1996 so I think it's safe to say
we can do that.

(The reason I am writing now is that 3 years after I last touched this
code, a friend has asked me for this exact functionality, which does not
seem to exist in any other piece of software for linux.)

You can see the obvious advantage in using code such as this; it makes it
almost impossible to get around the limit settings by the user.

Let me know what you think.

Martin
--
Martin Lucina http://www.kotelna.sk/mato/ Wellington, New Zealand
I've always been mad I know I've been mad like the most of us are