Re: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

Stefan Ott (stefan@desire.ch) wrote:
> i still don't see why compiling a kernel on your own is a problem. i
> have never used a precompiled kernel, and i never had problems.

well, if you want to stay on the topic of which kernel to include, there's
something you must understand. there are numerous differences between
different releases of the kernel and what they expect from the rest of the
system. with 2.2, we needed to provide ipchains instead of ipfwctl. with
2.4, there will be certianly be some work involved with the migration to
devfs. i believe there are some framebuffer and firewall changes that will
have to be addressed.

the kernel that we shipped with slink didn't boot on athlon at all. that
made it very hard to install on a lot of computers. it's not so much what
kernel we include but which one we can say we support.

--
(jacob kuntz)                    jake@{megabite,underworld}.net jpk@cape.com
(megabite systems)     "think free speech, not free beer." (gnu foundataion)