Re: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

On Sun, Mar 12, 2000 at 04:30:21PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         Probably not. But That's why no one is talking about making
>  2.4 the default kernel. We package it up, we put i warnings, and we
>  let it out for those of us who can really use it.

Those can really use it are those who can download the code, fix missing
dependencies in potato for a 2.4 kernel and compile 2.4 themseleves. They
are also those who can deal with the problems an immature kernel can bring.
That binary in potato, even with those big disclaimers, can be a threat. Say
we ship a 2.4-pre3 binary, and it has a fs corruption bug. You can not
modify the disclaimer in a burnt CD to talk about that major threat in the
kernel. Many just press "ok" at the warning screen and install the "Latest
and the Greatest". When their fs rottens down, we'll have to read the flame
in debian-devel. And that kind of situations would harm "slightly" our "rock
solid" reputation.

Jordi

--
Jordi Mallach Pérez || jordi@pusa.informat.uv.es   || Rediscovering Freedom,
ka Oskuro in RL-MUD || jordi@sindominio.net        || Using Debian GNU/Linux

http://sindominio.net  GnuPG public information:      pub  1024D/917A225E
telnet pusa.uv.es 23   73ED 4244 FD43 5886 20AC  2644 2584 94BA 917A 225E