Re: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

On Sun, Mar 12, 2000 at 04:30:21PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Jason" == Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> writes:
>
>  Jason> On 11 Mar 2000, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  >> I've been running 2.3 kernels for a while now, and so have
>  >> several people. Though it may not work as a default ekrnel,
>
>  Jason> But can we integrate the necessary new changes to properly
>  Jason> support 2.4?  devfsd, the new firewall code, new PCMCIA, etc?
>
>         Probably not. But That's why no one is talking about making
>  2.4 the default kernel. We package it up, we put i warnings, and we
>  let it out for those of us who can really use it.
>
>         Why is this such a big deal?
>
>         manoj

We went through this last time with slink and 2.2. I don't see any falling
out about 2.0.3x in slink, and I'm pretty sure we wont have a falling out
if we don't have 2.4.x in potato. Let's move on, we have much more to do
to get potato out the door without worrying about fluff for the sake of
making ourselves look good. We want our users to have a stable
system...not be able to say "hey, my dist has 2.4.x kernels and yours
doesn't".

Yes, we could supply the source, yes we could have the disclaimer...but
why? I have not seen any good reason other than "so we can have it in
there". Technically there is nothing in 2.[34].x that 99% of the people can't
get out of 2.2.x.

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '