Re: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

Alisdair McDiarmid (alisdair@jml.net) wrote:

> What's the point in providing a briefly tested package of 2.4.0 when,
> by the time potato is out and burnt onto CDs, 2.4.x (where x > 0) will
> be available and people can compile their own kernel?
>
> The only reason for putting a 2.4.x kernel into potato is if you can
> easily put the infrastructure needed for 2.4.x into the Debian system.
> Supplying a pre-compiled kernel alone is pointless.

i see your point but have a counterpoint ;)

it is not unlikely for someone to be in a situation where they need a
feature from a 2.4 series kernel to get a machine fully installed (network
or storage device problems most likely). the only (easy) way for this user
to continue is to install the pre2.4 image we will hopefully include and use
that to complete the installation. of course they won't keep that kernel for
long, but it will be enough to bootstrap. a friend of mine was in a similar
situation with the slink cd.

--
(jacob kuntz)                    jpk@cape.com jake@{megabite,underworld}.net
(megabite systems)                       "think free speech, not free beer."