Re: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

On Sun, Mar 12, 2000 at 06:18:25PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> I'd like to propose that we make a committment to getting an update to
> potato out within a month of the release of the 2.4 kernel or the release
> of potato, whichever comes last. (I did a similar thing for slink in a 3
> week time-frame, and so I think this is a reasonable time-frame.)
>
> This update would NOT be blessed as stable, it would be a semi-stable
> release with:
>
> - 2.4 kernel and support utilities
> - X 4.0 drivers (but probably just X servers, to minimize changes; Branden
>   has huge reorganizations in mind for X)
>
> This would be a full Debian release, with a version number, boot floppies,
> CD images, etc, etc. After it ages for a few months, we may choose to call
> it stable but at first it would be called something that denotes it is
> semi-stable.
>
> Please speak up if you like this idea.

XFree 4 may not be doable by then reasonably.  I support the idea though
(as you no doubt have seen..)  I'd suggest taking an extra week or two to
really run it through the wringer though.  Maybe it wouldn't do to call it
stable, but it would really be good to update Debian in this way not
infrequently.

* dpkg hands stu a huge glass of vbeer
* Joey takes the beer from stu, you're too young ;)
* Cylord takes the beer from Joey, you're too drunk.
* Cylord gives the beer to muggles.