Re: The nature of unstable (was: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!)

> > We should be making potato the best that it
> > can be. Every release cycle, peoples obsession with "this new thing" or
> > "that latest beta" is what makes the cycle so drawn out.
>
> All I was saying was that 'that new thing' should be included in the
> unstable tree as soon as possible. Add things early, not late in the release
> cycle. That way the most water is under the bridge by the time the release
> comes.
>
> I doubt every one is working on Potato. To those people who are working on
> Woody I would say 'don't wait for the upstream developers to say things are
> finished before you put them in.'
>
> If anything I'm trying to back you up, don't mess with Potato. Save it all
> for woody, but get it in early.

But you are missing the point. You are encouraging people to work on
woody, when in fact we should all be focused on potato. You are also
encouraging another practice which tends to upset some upstream
developers. By adding in packages of versions that upstream does not
consider stable, they end up contending with luser bug reports on features
that are incomplete. We've had this problem in the past, we don't want to
get into again.

Ben

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '