Re: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

>>"Ari" == Ari Makela <hauva@iki.fi> writes:

 Ari> Manoj Srivastava writes:
 >> It is a quality of imlementation issue. If we are seriously
 >> outmoded, we can't honestly say we are trying to be the best
 >> distribution out there.

 Ari> I must say I completely fail to understand your point. Quality
 Ari> has not very much to do with the fact how new the softare in an
 Ari> unix-system is.

        If old software never had bugs, and we did not have new
 hardware, you would have a point.

        Another point is that to an extent. being outmoded means that
 fewer people use Debian; and, that implies that Debian no longer
 meets their goals. Not having released for nearly 18 months (that's 3
 generations in internet time), we have fastr become a distribution
 that does not meet the needs of a vast number of people.

        While I am not advoocationg abondaning quality, I am saying
 that obsolescence is also a factor in quality of implementation.

 Ari>  Debian GNU/Linux is a great operating system and
 Ari> I do believe that one of the reasons for the high quality is the
 Ari> fact that Debian is developed without unnecessary haste.

        So who is saying we be hasty? Did I ever say we make anything
  but 2.2. the default kernel?

 Ari> I feel that no operating system can be everything for everybody. Also,
 Ari> I believe that you can choose either "bleeding edge software" or "high
 Ari> quality software" but not both.

        And Debian should offer both choices, perhaps favouring the
 latter. Let the users decide.

 Ari> All said, as an unix user I'm very programming and server orientated
 Ari> and I rather buy malt whiskey than newest available hardware. Someone
 Ari> with an Athlon or a very new video card might disagree with me.

        Debian tries hard to cater to both types of users.

        manoj
--
 "He didn't run for reelection. `Politics brings you into contact with
 all the people you'd give anything to avoid,' he said. `I'm staying