RE: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

From: Hamish Moffatt [mailto:hamish@debian.org]
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 11:02:04AM -0500, Mark Mealman wrote:
> > I really don't like unstable either, but I've pretty much
> > abandoned the stable tree as too behind the times back when
> > slink was nearing freeze.
>
> Here's a serious question for you: which parts are too old on slink
> to perform the functions you need? Seriously?

Sorry to intrude, but in my case:

1. Kernel 2.0 (need 2.2 for NTFS support)
2. X (for Matrox G400)
3. DHCPCD (don't know why, but the old version didn't work)
4. I'd like a later version of Perl (5.004 is very old)
5. fvwm (stable only has beta version 2, current is 2.2)
6. gnome (stable version is old & seems buggy, unstable has 1.0)

That's quite a long list. And it's fairly central stuff. It has a lot of
dependencies and downloading over modem (not on a free line) is fairly
painful.

I'm running on a personal workstation, not a server, so "unstable" versions
are fine. But huge downloads aren't.

Sure, I'm not the only type of user, but I suggest that I am typical of a
fairly large group of people who would like Debian.

Paul