Re: Less interactive upgrades.

  It seems to me that a better way to do this (in the abstract case :) ) would
be to librarify dpkg -- that is, to make a libdpkg which approximately parallels
libapt.  This would also have the effect of solving some annoying quirks in the
apt/dpkg interaction which are caused (if I remember correctly) by the fact that
apt marshalls a whole lot of package installations for a single dpkg call, but
can't easily tell which ones were successfully performed and which failed if
something goes wrong.

  Of course, having never even tried to look at dpkg's code, I have no idea how
easy this is given the program's design.  I suspect that if it were possible
someone would have done it already :)

  Daniel

--
The only thing worse than infinite recursion is infinite recursion.