Re: Single architecture on -announce lists

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2000 at 04:49:54PM -0500, Bob Hilliard wrote:
> >      During the slink freeze there was some discussion of the wasted
> > bandwidth due to -devel-announce and -announce listing all packages
> > installed/uploaded to all architectures.
> >
> >      As I recall, the consensus was that, after slink was released,
> > these lists would be split by architecture, and anyone interested in
> > more than one architecture could subscribe to as many lists as
> > required.  I am sure that the overwhelming majority would subscribe to
> > only one list.
>
> [bcollins@murphy(11:01am)-/var/list]%ls -d debian-*-changes
> debian-all-changes/          debian-devel-changes/            debian-hurd-i386-changes/
> debian-alpha-changes/        debian-devel-hurd-i386-changes/  debian-i386-changes/
> debian-arm-changes/          debian-devel-i386-changes/       debian-m68k-changes/
> debian-devel-all-changes/    debian-devel-m68k-changes/       debian-powerpc-changes/
> debian-devel-alpha-changes/  debian-devel-powerpc-changes/    debian-sparc-changes/
> debian-devel-arm-changes/    debian-devel-sparc-changes/
>
> The lists already exist, they are just not used at all. Maybe it would be
> easier to keep just the one debian-devel-changes list to send to and write
> some extra procmail stuff into sending it to the write outlist.

     That was what I understood was the intention last year.
Apparently the listmasters created the lists, but no one set up the
scripts or procmail stuff to implement it.  Is it the listmasters
responsibility to set this up, or does it belong to admin?  I would
certainly like to see it happen.

Bob
--
   _